The Retro Doublewide is a mono tube compressor unit designed from the ground up for the 500 series format.
The Retro Doublewide takes its cue from the legendary Sta-Level compressor but is ultimately its own design. Under the hood there are four NOS 6BJ6 variable-mu tubes doing the actual compression work configured in a fully complementary push-pull design, delivering the sonic characteristics typical of a full-sized Retro compressor.
The Doublewide’s tubes are arranged in two gain stages, working in delicate combination alongside two high-quality Cinemag transformers. Input and output are fully floating and transformer balanced for use with line level signals, while a hard-wire bypass switch allows for quick evaluation of the compression signature. Compression attack and recovery times are continuously variable.
The Doublewide is a small tube compressor with a big sound. It excels at processing all manner of sources like bass, vocals, even whole mixes (but for that you’ll probably need two!), adding a luxurious compression signature to your audio that’s unmistakably analog. Like the Sta-Level and 176 before it, the Doublewide has two timing modes; Single and Double. ‘Single’ is slower: perfect for taming things like harsh vocals and unruly bass; while ‘Double’ provides a dynamic program-controlled attack and recovery timing that’s arguably better for drums and other fast transients.
- Single channel tube compression in a two-slot 500 series module
- Continuously variable input and output levels with fixed threshold
- Continuously variable attack and recovery time
- Single and Double time-constants
- Fully complementary push-pull signal path
- Cinemag transformer balanced, fully-floating Input and Output
- Hard wire bypass switch with gold-plated contacts
- Gold-plated edge card connections
- Stainless steel chassis construction
- Side-accessible meter zero trim
- Uses new-old-stock U.S. Tubes
- Authentic U.S.-made Simpson gain reduction meter
- Hand built and tested in the U.S.
The Gear Rack