The K5000 was Kawai's top of the line music workstation digital synthesizer when it was released back in 1996. It's a bold and elegantly designed synth with a large LCD display, realtime controls and incredible sounds!
The K5000 combines additive synthesis and PCM sampled waveforms for you to layer and combine to design a whole range of sounds. Plenty of LFO modulation, filters and envelope controls allow you to shape and morph your sounds further. On-board multi-effects add the final touch of life to your sounds.
Once you've created some sounds, there's the on-board sequencer (K5000W only) for creating songs or loading Standard Midi File sequences (via disk-drive). It has a 40,000 note capacity and 40 tracks. Real-time record and step-edit modes are available and the sequencer is pretty straight forward.
The K5000S adds 12 dedicated knobs for hands-on control of filter, LFO and envelope parameters. There are 4 user-definable knobs and 2 assignable switches. The K5000S also has a 40-pattern arpeggiator on-board with 8 user-definable patterns.
In 1997 a rack-module version of the K5000 was released. The rack version shipped with Kawai's more stable OS 3.0 software. The latest is 4.03 and is free to upgrade via download from Kawai. The rack offers all the same power and flexibility as its keyboard counterparts.
- Polyphony - 32 voices
- Oscillators - Digital Additive Synthesis plus PCM samples; Harmonics: 64 per source; Waveforms: 689 (123 synth, 341 GM, 225 drums). Note: only K5000W features GM sounds
- Effects - 4 effects algorithms with 32 different effects
- Filter - 128-band formant filter, 24dB/oct low-pass and high-pass
- LFO - 2 (one for formant filter, one can be freely routed to other destinations)
- VCA - 1 ASDR per part, with key scale and velocity
- Arpeg/Seq - Sequencer: 40 tracks, 40,000 note capacity (K5000W only)
Arpeggiator: 40 patterns, 8 user (K5000S and K5000R only)
- Keyboard - 61 Keys with velocity and aftertouch
- Memory - 200 patches, 64 performances
- Control - MIDI (K5000S, K5000R: 4-part multi-timbral; K5000W: 32-part multi-timbral)
- Date Produced - 1996
The Gear Rack