Roland SH-101 is a small, 32 key, monophonic analog synthesizer manufactured by Roland in the early 1980s.
The SH-101 is a small monophonic bass synthesizer famous for its acid leads and basses. Sonically, the synth has been compared to the TB-303, as well as the revered Juno bass sound. Despite its rather simplistic front panel, the SH-101 has a variety of useful features. For example, the oscillator pitch, VCF and LFO can be individually or simultaneously assigned to the pitch bender.
The SH-101 includes a white noise generator, an arpeggiator with up, down and up/down patterns and a simple real-time sequencer. The LFO offers random, sine, square or noise waveforms. Further, portamento can be set as manual or auto to create the famous elastic bass sound. The unit also features external clock inputs for the sequencer and arpeggiator, CV/GATE inputs and outputs and a CV hold pedal.
The SH-101 does not offer patch memory storage or MIDI integration, however, MIDI-to-CV converters can be used. Overall, the Roland SH-101 is great for bass sounds or bubbly analog effects. The unit was made available in three colors - gray, blue or red - and can also be strapped on like a guitar for live performance using the optional Hand Grip.
- Polyphony: Monophonic
- Timbrality: Monotimbral
- Oscillator: 1 VCO with 3 simultaneously mixable waveforms : Pulse with PWM, Saw and Sub wave (selectable -1 Oct. Square, -2 Oct. Square or -2 Oct Pulse). The Pulse wave can be modulated by LFO, by Envelope or manually. Noise is also available at the oscillator mixing stage
- LFO: 1 LFO: triangle, square, random and noise waveforms
- Synthesis type: Analog subtractive
- Filter: 1 resonant VCF, modulated with ADSR, LFO, keyboard tracking and/or bender controller
- Attenuator: ADSR envelope, triggered by gate or LFO
- Arp/Seq: 100 step sequencer
- Effects: Arpeggiator (up, down, up/down)
- Keyboard: 32-note
- Left-hand control Bender assignable to VCF frequency and/or pitch as well as pitch bend and mod wheels on attachable handle
- External control: CV/Gate
The Gear Rack