The Tascam 38 is a vintage reel to reel 8-track tape machine.
This machine is a blast to process drums through! The track count makes it ideal for drum processing, while the Model 38's inherent sound can make for a big and round sound. Run it hot for crunch, or keep it clean and enjoy gently shaved off edges. Works very well as a vocal treatment too - a touch of compression and boosted mids for warmth.
- Tape size: 1/2 inch, 1.5 mil, low noise high output tape.
- Track format: 8-track, 8 channel,trackwidth 0.0039 inch (1mm)
- Reel Size: 10-1/2 Nab Hub adapators.
- Tape speed: 15 + Pitch control variable 12 %
- Speed accuracy: + -0.8 % devitation.
- Wow and Flutter: +-0.06 % peak.
- Fast Wind Time: 100 seconds for 10-1/2 reel 2400 feet.
- Start time: Less than 0.8 sec to reach standard wow and flutter.
- Reel motors: Slotless DC motors.
- Head configuration: 3 heads: erase , record,/reproduce x 2.
- Line Input Impedance: 50 k ohms, unbalanced.
- Maximum source impedance: 2.5 k ohms.
- Nominal Input level:-10dBV (0,3V)
- Maximum Input level: + 18dBV (8.0V)
- Line Output Impedance; 1 k ohms, unbalanced.
- Minimum load impedance; 10k ohms.
- Nominal load impedance: 50 k ohms.
- Nominal output level: -10 dBV (o.3 volt)
- Maximum output level:+18 dBV (8.0 volt)
- Bias frequency: 150 kHz.
- Record level calibration: 0 VU reference: 250 nWb/m tape flux level.
- Frequency response: Record/Reproduce: 40Hz-20 kHz,+-3dB at 0 VU.
- 40 Hz-20kHz, 3+-dB at -10 VU.
- Signal to noise ratio: at a reference of 1 kHz,at 13dB above 0 VU, 1000 Hz,250 nWb/m.
- Headroom: recording amplifier-better than 25dB down at 1,000 Hz ,0 VU.
- Connectors Line Input and Output: RCA jacks.
- Extra option: Remote control RC -71. (multi-pin jack)
The Gear Rack